Monday, September 04, 2006

music to calm the angry beast

Jolyn was right.

The CD player was a good idea. The sound rolls through our cave with a beauty that brought tears to my eyes, the first time. She brought some that I had heard before but I think I like the modern music just as much. I am currently playing an album by a group called Godsmack. At first I found the name rather ridiculous, but the irony of me playing it loud enough to shake the stone walls, was not lost on me.

I actually have the urge to search out a few gods and explain to them the joke, but I think they would find little humor in it. So instead I sit here in my pretty prison and feel the sound roll through me like an angry roar. Oddly, I find all that human emotion calming.

You might wonder where the lovely Jolyn is, or why I'm here alone, as I so often am. Jo, had a study session with a fellow student. She told me (repeatedly) that it isn't a date. Yet, she spent nearly two hours getting ready to study. Jo used makeup that she didn't need and tied her silver hair back in some kind of hairstyle that held it up off her neck. She also wore the amber necklace which I created for her years ago. If that isn't a date, I don't know what is.

It's very strange, this feeling of doom I feel over her absence. Perhaps it is no more than a typical father's fear, but then I have never been a typical father. I fear all the things that could go wrong for her as she goes out and pretends to be human. For she is not, and that alone can lead her down dangerous paths.

I know. For I have walked down them. and at times run back them.

J

No comments: