Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Companion.

I know Jo reads this journal. I don't have the heart to ask her not to when she claims the whole world has access to it. I know she reads it because she asked me this morning about Grant and who he was. I've never mentioned Grant to her before because he is part of the past that I try so hard to leave behind.

I couldn't explain him to her when she asked but I will try to do so here. Grant was my friend, but so much more than that. In a time when I could trust no one, he became my confidant. But he was supposed to be my handler, nothing more than a tool to force me to do deeds I didn't want to do.

Jormangund thought he could use Grant like a leash. Neither Grant nor I liked the idea all that much. Grant is unique in all the nine realms. His mother is the ruling queen of hell, a demon of such beauty and power that Pahele, master of hell would settle for no other at his side. But before she bound herself to Pahele, Sadrina had a child named Grant. Jormangund and his sister Hel stole Grant and gave him to me as a slave, as a companion.

What they didn't expect was that Grant had honor and instead of betrayal, he offered me friendship. I was a bit easier going back then and I accepted friendship. With him at my side I was allowed to leave hell and go out to explore the worlds I was supposed to destroy. We traveled together for about four thousand years. To say we were close doesn't even begin to cover it.

J.

No comments: