Sunday, June 15, 2008

Wolves

Wolves. I honestly didn't think much of them or their duel souled counterparts, the Valafrn until one day when I met one and she kicked my ass.

Vinola was a Valafrn werewolf but also more and much like myself she was out in the world searching for herself.

Jolyn, I hope you understand that I never loved your mother. I cared for her and I respected her courage. But there was no love, not the kind that should be between mates. She was given to me as a sacrifice. Her family expected me to eat her. (I did, but that's another story) Perhaps in our circumstances tolerance and eventual betrayal was the best we could hope for.

But Vinola was different. She captured my heart from first glance. Oh sure, it took her a while so see any value in me, but it wasn't for lack of my trying. You might wonder what it was about one werewolf that caught my eye when I'd seen the whole world and not been overly impressed with any other? I think this might be the difference between love and "forever love".

Damn that sounds cheesy.

I believe that if the world had given us enough time your mother and I could have come to love one another. But no amount of time would have bound her soul to mine. I think that space was already spoken for long before I even came into the world. Vinola was that other half that I'd been searching for without ever understanding. The moment I saw her, my heart awoke. That inner place in my being that had been quiet--it roared. I had to have her, be with her, love her.

Nothing else mattered.

Grant was with me at the time. He and I fought over my reaction to Vinola. I was then, and still am now, completely irrational when it comes to her. I'm sure I drove him nuts. If he hadn't promised to stay by my side no matter what, I'm sure my mood swings would have driven him away. But he did stay and eventually Vinola relented.

We were together far too short a time. But for that time the world was perfect. Before we'd had more than a taste of that love, she was gone.

If I get a little misty when I see wolf art, it is for missing her.

J

No comments: