Monday, August 17, 2009

Armies of Ash

Jolyn and I were arguing again about having live tv here in the cave. She is still adamant that allowing me to watch current events simply can't end well. What she fails to understand is that current events aren't likely very different from the same shit I saw out there 500 or a thousand years ago.

People don't really change. Oh sure some of the veneer is different and technology evolves fast enough, but deep in the heart of people, the human race is always going to be at odds with something.

She thinks that simple truth will upset me. She's wrong. The human call to battle isn't necessarily a state of evil. It is what drives humans to grow and develop even if that core remains the same for all eternity. To be honest that drive to improve the world by force is one I respect. And to that aspect I've created a poem to honor the eternal battle cry which drives the human species onward even in the darkest hour.


ARMIES OF ASH

Sun rising from the dark
Setting the world alight
People born, taking breath
Living, dying, full of strife

For love, for life,
For freedom and pain
Everything lost,
Everything to gain

Over and over
Repeated mistakes
Time and again
The same damn heartaches

Someday, sometime
We’ll face the truth
We are all soldiers
Born of the ash
Forever doomed
To repeat the past.

Armies of ash,
Nothing that lasts
People of ash,
Reborn of the past


J.

4 comments:

Debra Moore said...

Oh how I love the dragon. He probably wouldn't appreciate how much I do, so I'll keep it quiet for now. :-) Well, sorta...

J said...

hmm... is spying on dragons wise?

Tierney O'Malley said...

Oh, I love that dragon, too. I recently painted my kitchen and used Dragon Scales color.

J. said...

oh goodie, dragon groupies. Fair warning, don't get annoying. Irritation makes me hungry.